Sunday, December 28, 2008

Simple Apple Cake



Tell me this doesn't look like a perfect breakfast.

This is such an easy and versatile recipe. I've made it both for family holidays, or just to have around to snack on (like this morning for breakfast). I love apples in all sorts of forms, and while I love an apple tart, I think it's fun, and just so gosh darn easy to throw them in this quick cake from Heidi Swanson.

Tonight I made it to serve to a few friends over for dinner (after dinner- I know I talk about dessert as a meal quite often...). It looks unpresuming, and is simple tasting, but so solidly good. I like it kind of cold from chilling out in the fridge, dense and moist. I whip some cream to go along with it, even though when I follow this version, I usually prefer mine plain. (Everyone else always likes the cream.)

But tonight I made this with allspice instead of cinnamon (I was all out and hadn't realized it), which was still good (more savory), but I thought benefited from the whipped cream. I whipped heavy whipping cream with a couple spoonfuls of sugar, and a couple splashes of amaretto, which was delish!!

I've realized that I have a penchant for my bottle of Disarrono, and am feeling compelled lately to splash it into a lot of recipes. I think perhaps I might go have a splash or ten on the rocks. I leave you with...

Simple Apple Cake
serves 12

2 cups chopped apples, cut into 1/4 inch cubes with the peel on (this is about 2 apples)
2 1/2 cups flour (all-purpose or whole wheat)
1 tbs baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon (or allspice if you dare)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled a bit
more sugar for top, I use about 8 tsp for a nice even coating

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Butter and line a 9 inch square pan.

Place the chopped apples in a bowl of water and juice of one lemon. Set aside.

Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and the buttermilk. Whisk in the melted butter. Pour the buttermilk mixture over the flour mixture and stir until barely combined- don't over-mix. Now drain the apples and fold into the cake batter.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan, pushing it out toward the edes. Sprinkle all over with sugar, a nice even coat. Bake for 20-22 minutes. Serve warm or cold or room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment